Baby, It’s Cold Outside
Nothing beats warming up by a fire in the comfort of your home on a cold winter’s night. Unfortunately, there are over 2,600 children in Ohio who are waiting to be placed with a family and do not have somewhere to call home. An even more imminent need is the almost 16,000 Ohioan children in some form of foster care or out-of-home placement still waiting for a loving family to be with this holiday season. This need is so great that St. Joseph Orphanage opened an Emergency Placement Program last January in response to the large number of children that were sleeping in local Job Family Services & Child Protective Services Offices due to the shortage of Foster Parents. This need for foster care providers is growing and YOU can help!
Santa Claus is coming to Town
With each day bringing us closer to Santa’s nighttime ride you could give the greatest gift all; YOU! Contrary to popular belief, anyone can be trained to be a foster care provider. All forms of living residences including houses, apartments, condominiums and more are acceptable. “Decking the halls” is optional. Any financial situation, relationship status, or employment status also does not exclude you from providing love and care to children in need.
All We Want for Christmas is YOU
The steps to becoming a certified foster care provider are easy, and we are here to help you along the way. First you turn in your application and complete pre-service training with us. Then you will have a Home Study completed by an assessor. This is a detailed report of your family and home to not only help recommend you to be licensed, but also to help determine what children would be the best fit for you. While you cannot specifically choose which children you will be assigned, you can specify various characteristics such as gender and age range. Finally, you will complete 12 trainings in order to receive your Ohio Foster Parent License.
Benefits when you Help Bring Peace on Earth
Other than the joy of helping local children in need finally feel at home, we also have various resources and benefits to help you along the way! This December, foster parents and their kids will be invited to our annual Christmas Party! This will include lots of family fun and holiday themed activities as well as brand new Christmas gifts collected through donation.
Additional benefits include;
Resources Available for you and child
- 24 Hour Treatment Staff On Call
- Emergencies & Therapeutic Needs
- Treatment Staff that is Knowledgeable & Experienced in Foster Care
- Access to a Full Array of Services:
- In-home or In-Office Therapy
- Case Management
- Psychiatric Services
Holidays and Celebrations
- Annual Foster Parent Celebration
- Annual Christmas Party for Foster Parent & Child
- New Christmas Gifts Given by Donors Every Year
Payments and Reimbursements
- Tax Free Stipend
- Paid by Direct Deposit Every 2 Weeks
- Monthly Paid Training
- Free Childcare & Meal Provided
- Training Reimbursement $10/ Hour (ongoing classroom training)
- Mileage Reimbursement
- $0.50 / Mile for Any Travel Related to Foster Child
- School, Family Visits, or Mental Health Treatment
- $150.00 Wrap Around Fund
- Available per Year per Youth for Expenses Not Covered by Foster Care per Diem
- Paid Respite Care (14 Days)
- $25 / day per child
- Foster Parent Referral Bonus
- Earn $400 Bonus for referring a friend to become a Foster Parent
- $50 for completing pre-service, $250 for becoming licensed, $100 for first placement
Questions? Want More Information About Becoming A Foster Parent or Adoptive Parent?
We are happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have, as well as provide you with more information. Contact one of our convenient offices in Dayton: (937)643-0398 or Cincinnati: (513) 741-3100 or call (855) SJO-FOSTER. To contact us on the web simply fill out our contact form and we will be in touch!